Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Giving Way to Hating

Are we reaching the point where a legislator being actively anti-gay will make us all believe the legislator himself is gay?  It's becoming too common to be a joke anymore, and is just a sad reality.  How much does a man have to hate himself to spend the first 55 years of his life actively denying rights to those of his own sexuality.

[Mr. Ashburn] also voted in the statehouse against efforts to expand anti-discrimination laws...

As a kind-of meta comment on this episode, does anyone else find it sad to read a statement like "voted... against efforts to expand anti-discrimination laws..."?  I am a pretty libertarian guy.  If I am radical politically, it is along the lines of believing the government has no place in my personal life.  How can there be laws governing behavior that doesn't affect anyone but the primary actor?  But general libertarianism aside, I can't imagine a better use of extraneous laws than to be anti-discrimination. 

*sigh*

If there is any value to the fact that humans have to get old and die, perhaps it's so that this generation can leave and let the rest of us get on with more important things that the previous generation's hang-ups.  Note that I know people like this do not represent everyone, and I am aware that I must have hang-ups that my children will abhor.  So maybe it's good that someday I'll die so that they can get on with whatever terrible thing it is that they think is more important.




No comments: