Monday, January 16, 2006

What you need to do...

It's time to get back to the shaving! Last your I participated in a wonderful event called St. Baldrick's. Baldrick's organizes large head-shaving parties across the nation where volunteers get sponsors to pay money to have the volunteer's head shaved. The money goes to fund childhood cancer research. So last year I had my head shaved and raised over $3,700!

The St. Baldrick's home page is located at:

http://www.stbaldricks.org/

For you who don't know, my cousin is a five year-old boy who was diagnosed on April 1, 2003 with Neuroblastoma, a rare cancer which affects the nervous system.

You can see his parents' journal at:

http://www2.caringbridge.org/co/nathanmichael/

I am now registered and ready for the 2006 St. Baldrick's celebration, and it goes like this: you promise to sponsor me. I go get my head shaved in a big, happy, silly, beer-drinking event. When I am done you pay the amount of money you sponsored me for in a tax-deductible donation to St.Baldrick's, which sends the money off to fund childhood cancer research.

You can donate on-line (or print a form) at:

http://www.stbaldricks.org/ShaveePhoto.asp?SolNumber=15326389

You can just click on the picture of me with hair to get the on-line form to fill out. You can also come and drop a check off with me, or just donate cash anonymously (there's a jar on my desk I'll be emptying when I leave every day.

Like last year, the event will be at Fado's Irish Pub downtown, and I want as many of my friends and donators to make it. It's Friday, March 10th, and I think you should take a half-day of vacation to come and celebrate and have a good time. You have to pay for drinks but there was catered bar food last year. So get it on your calendar and join us!

They raise a *lot* of money ($12 million since the year 2000 and over $5.3 million last year). The normal donation is $50, although they will accept any amount, small or large (and it is tax deductible). Last yearI had donations ranging from $1 to $250, and everything is appreciated. My largest single donor (who attends the event) will have the honor of taking the first swipe with the shears. The one condition is that he or she may not be drunk when they start the shave.

Let me know if you have any questions, and please forward this post as far and wide as you'd like.

Matt

No comments: