Friday, December 09, 2005

Learning what they don't teach

My grandfather advised his children to take apprenticeships and to learn what they don't teach -- in other words, do the job they ask, but also learn what makes the business run. There's a lot to learn when you chose to look up from what's filling your time.

It's good advice. My problem is that so much is left untaught, and most of it is garbage. How do I find the right lessons from competing messages?

We decorated the Christmas tree tonight. It was a lot of fun. I love some of our ornaments, and the re-discovery of old favorites is so much of the joy. My daughter is six and she has just begun to recognize the continuity of the holidays and is busy try to enjoy the memories.

-- msd

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How much of what is garbage? Of what is taught? Or what is left untaught?

Matt Dick said...

What is left untaught. Particularly right now I spend about half my energy in meetings trying to figure out *how* messages are conveyed both up and down, heirarchically. I can see that some people are way better at "managing up" than others. I have to try to figure out how to get sr. mgt. to carry the message I want them to. Learning how to do that by analyzing people's presentations is leaving me wondering if I have the ability to figure out who is effective and wh isn't.